Friday, November 10, 2017

Let Me Take You "Way Back"!

Hey Jammers, Arctic here! How are you all doing today? Good? I hope so!

As I checked the Jamaa Journal recently, it got me thinking. We typically have updates biweekly with new and exciting features, but in the grand scheme of things those are very small updates. Allow me to explain!

As you know, Animal Jam has changed a lot since it's creation in 2010! Not a lot of people from the beta days still play Animal Jam today, so it's hard for those of us who joined much later to really get a sense of what the Beta Days were like.

I myself only personally knew two or three beta players (all of which who are no longer active) including TheSlidoo: the original founder of the Animal Jam Community Blog!

And so THAT thought also got me thinking. What if we could go back in time to see what was really going on in the Beta Days? Fortunately, we can!

The Wayback Machine is a website that allows you to travel back in time! Well... not exactly. It's a website that lets you see the archived versions of websites! You can use it to find the original google, for instance!

I decided to use it to check out the Animal Jam homepage from a long time ago! This definitely isn't a new concept- a ton of youtubers have covered it before. However, I thought it would be fun to take a look at this for a post!

Here's the homepage:


It looks a lot darker, but also a lot more mysterious and interesting. I really feel like this is a wild game about animals, you know? The colour scheme is very toned down and natural. It would have been cool to have this to come to every day when you log in!

Here's Jammer Central!


Aww man, I would have spent all day playing with this! There's tons of fun polls, jokes, and featured Jammers here. As fun as the Daily Explorer is, I love this aspect of the old AJ, and it would be super cool if something like this were implemented in to modern AJ too!

Here's a page with downloads:


Notice that in the bottom corner for the Sarepia forest wallpaper it says "Serepia Forest" spelled with an E! Was this a misspelling or just how it was spelled back then? Regardless, it's still super cool!

My favourite part of the old website is here:


These little character bios say a lot more about the Alphas than we know about them now! It really makes these guys feel like more tangible characters, and I wish it were a bit more like this now!

I was particularly interested by Graham's bio!


Graham never seemed too interesting of an Alpha to me, but reading this makes him sound a lot more fun and exciting! I love seeing the little quirks and details about the Alphas' characters - something we really don't see today!

I don't want to spoil too much of the website for you, in case you're interested, so that'll be all for this week! Here's the link if you'd like to check it out for yourself: http://web.archive.org/web/20101203021939/http://www.animaljam.com/home

What do you think of the old website? Are there any parts of it that you prefer over how AJ is now? Do you know anyone who played during the beta days? Tell me in the comments below!

See you next week folks!

Good day!

3 comments:

  1. That is so cool!
    Polls
    THE HOMEPAGE WAS LIKE A BLOG!!!!! XDD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have actually used. That site before it’s very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kinda like the old homepage, it looks so cool!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thank you for choosing to comment on AJFC! Before you comment, please read and follow these rules.
1. No inappropriate comments.
2. No foul language.
3. No spam/constant advertising.
4. Please do not spark any drama. Animal Jam is mean't to be a fun place.
5. No personal information.
6. If you choose to comment under anonymous, please state who you are (your username, what your online friends call you, etc.)
7. Enjoy your stay!

Thank you!
-Graciepopstar91