Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Character Concept Art -- for The Project

Heyooooooooooooo, Jammers!

Karalee here, back with another late-night post! ...Or perhaps early morning, depending on how you'd like to look at it. 😬

(On that note, are there any techies out there who might have insight into why the "auto-schedule" posting option doesn't work for me? I set the date and time, hit "Done", and then expect it to be posted at the appointed time -- and it never publishes. This happens to me across both blogs that I write for, so perhaps it's a Blogger thing?)



ANYwhoooooooo....

This week, we have another hopefully-helpful reference for the Writers and Illustrators of The Project -- art of my character Karalee! 😁




This was made in the SWEET new program I bought for my iPad, called Procreate!

It.
Is.
EPIC.

I LOVE the ease of use the touchscreen program gives me, and there are SO MANY amazing brushes to choose from!

But let's get into the art itself.... (*geeking out over the program is over now* 😵)



This is the basic contour of the shadows/dimensions highlighted in white pen. The parts shaded with black are the areas in focus in each shot.


The pant-legs and shoes go like so.... 😋 The shading is on the inside on both of the legs, but this simply indicates a non-directional light source. The shadows will likely differ quite a lot depending on the location and light source in each environment she's in, but it's probable that her inner thighs would have shading on the inside no matter what.


The sweater is fairly straightforward, with shading around where her arms and sides meet, under her *ahem* bust -- sorry, I couldn't think of another way to say it -- under her turtleneck collar, and on the collar where her chin casts a shadow.


Here's the shading on her face! There's all the natural places, like under her nose, inside her ear(s), and of course we can't forget the dark crescent underneath her face -- that's what gives her neck dimension. A few shadows unique to Karalee are the shadow beneath her bangs -- usually only seen on the side farthest from us -- and the slight shadow under her eyebrows. There's also a tiiiiiny-yet-important shadow under her lower lip, and her upper lip is pretty much all shadow, but emphasizing the shading there would really get in the way of observing it.


Here, the highlights of her hair are emphasized in yellow! You'll probably notice that they're all single-or-double triangles -- and I think that's all you'll need to know about her highlights.


Here's an early progress shot -- I did reference a base that I liked the pose of to create Karalee's base, but it was originally a male figure, so I think it's safe to say that it has been significantly altered. 😜 I made the proportions different, giving my base thicker limbs and a much bigger head.


This is the second progress shot -- Karalee with no shading at all. To get the colors I used for the shading, simply eye-drop the shade used for the outlines of her clothes. The only shading/highlights different from that is the shading under her neck -- that's darker from any other shade of her skin -- and the highlights of her hair (lighter).



Thanks for bearing with another post preparing for The Project, even though I'm not officially a participant. 😝 Thank you to all those who have suggested the idea to me, but I'm afraid my wacky schedules and my strong tendency to procrastinate lead me to believe taking on another activity right now would not be wise.

Are you working on The Project? If so, please let me know what you're doing in the comments below! 😃



That's all for this week, I'll see you all next Tuesday!

PEACE!
LOVE!
NINJAAAAAAAAAS!



(DXplorergirl)

7 comments:

  1. That's great, Karalee! I'm going to be an illustrator for the project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm a writer and graphic editor! Waiting for Gracie to announce when we are starting though XD Wait Kara? Is it an iPad Pro you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOAH! THAT IS AMAZING KARA!! :OOO Awesome job! :D :D

    And yes, I am going to participate in The Project, going to be a writer :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eyo, Kara!

    To auto-publish a post, click the schedule, and choose the date and time. Then click publish, and it won't publish it right then, but have it scheduled for the chosen date c: I had that problem too, and my dad ended up figuring out how to auto-publish the post for me, XD!

    I'm probably gonna post about The Project on Sunday, and give everyone the dates for when they start! c: I guess it's not really a summer project anymore.. More of a summer-into-fall project? XDD

    Remember, God made YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll never get tired of your art Kara! :)

    And I'm going to be an illustrator and a writer in the Project!
    I'M SO EXCITEDDDDDDD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh! Question- do you know if that program is available for use with drawing tablets? I'd like to try it out, but it takes forever for me to make a good picture with only a computer mouse, XD!

    -Swirlshine on her phone (at school before it has started)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thank you for choosing to comment on AJFC! Before you comment, please read and follow these rules.
1. No inappropriate comments.
2. No foul language.
3. No spam/constant advertising.
4. Please do not spark any drama. Animal Jam is mean't to be a fun place.
5. No personal information.
6. If you choose to comment under anonymous, please state who you are (your username, what your online friends call you, etc.)
7. Enjoy your stay!

Thank you!
-Graciepopstar91