Thursday, June 1, 2017

The Unspoken Artist's Code -- We Need It Now.

Greetings, Jammers.

This is Karalee, writing to you today with a very important message.

It isn't my scheduled day to post, but I have been given permission from our AJFC founder/admin Graciepopstar91 to bring light to this serious issue. It's one that touches all aspects of Animal Jam, but is especially relevant to the artist community.

This video, recorded as part of my daily activity on Animal Jam, shows how I was contacted by a friend while in the Diamond Shop, and the situation he brought to my attention.

(In an effort to both help ensure authenticity, and to make this post without delay, this video has no editing of any sort. The first three minutes are simply me going about Jamaa... go to 3:33 if you want to fast-forward to the pertinent part.)


In the case that it isn't clear, or that you're having trouble viewing the video, it shows how a buddy of mine, Activeninja, came to me and showed me art that was made for the purpose of ridiculing him.

The art was made by another person I have met on AJ, and from what I have learned (in the video), was made because the artist heard that Activeninja had belittled another artist in the community, a claim he strongly denies. The result was an image of Activeninja in a tiny cage, being taunted by pictures of real Jammers -- those he admired and called friends.

I have been granted permission to make an urgent, and out-of-regular-author-order post, with the video, and an appeal to all artists and Masterpiece collectors to avoid supporting this hateful behavior.

We can do this by Reporting any spitefully intended art you see in AJ, and by refusing to display such works in your den. Most of all, we can do this by not making such works of art ourselves.

I know that when we are injured, we sometimes want to hurt those we choose to blame for the situation. That's because we're human -- er, Jamaasian. In addition, I realize that we may want to use the things we are skilled in as our instruments of inflicting pain. I've felt that, too. That's also hu -- Jamaasian.

But I've got a question.

Among all the Masterpieces I've seen, every one seems to take part in an unspoken, but strong commitment.

To do our best work.

Is this our best work? Is this really what we want to be remembered for, after our accounts are dormant, and our only lasting effect on Jamaa is our Masterpieces drifting, traded from person to person?

Is this the best that art can be?

As artists, I believe we all have a silent code that we must uphold, to preserve the quality of the calling we pursue. I believe this use of Masterpieces breaks that code. I believe using art for the purpose of spite degrades the very quality we seek to uphold.

Do you believe the same?

Will you help me stand against it?



#OurBestWork



(DXplorergirl)

5 comments:

  1. Wow. That masterpiece is just plain mean! D: How did that even get approved o.o

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is appalling behaviour to see from a Jammer. It is horribly petty and immoral to put someone down like that, especially in a form that can get passed on from person to person so quickly (masterpieces).
    Not only is there a moral code that must be upheld in artists, but in all people as well. Everything you do should be done to uplift and inspire (especially in art forms). Playing dirty like that is incredibly rude and sad. I am sad to see such behaviour in the Art community.

    In the mean while, the best thing we can all do is spread kindness together in all kinds of ways.

    Great post Kara, I'm glad you put this message out there.

    #OurBestWork

    - Arctic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Arctic! *hugs* I hope that together, every artist in Jamaa can make this simple code spoken: to do our best work in all we accomplish.

      There's been a lot of talk lately of making a community like DeviantArt for Animal Jam bloggers (and Jammers in general). I think I might like to make one, along with any of you who might like to help!

      What do you think of Our Best Work for a name? Our motto could be Maxime Operis Nostri (the title, Google Translated into Latin).

      I'd loaf to do some brainstorming about this -- anyone want to do it with me?

      (DXplorergirl)

      Delete
    2. Better motto: Optimum Omni Opere. "Our Best Work In Everything". Also Latin.

      (DXplorergirl)

      Delete
    3. Ooh I love the idea- I'd be totally down for it! Anything I can do to help, let me know!

      *thinks up ideas*

      - Arctic

      Delete

Hey there! Thank you for choosing to comment on AJFC! Before you comment, please read and follow these rules.
1. No inappropriate comments.
2. No foul language.
3. No spam/constant advertising.
4. Please do not spark any drama. Animal Jam is mean't to be a fun place.
5. No personal information.
6. If you choose to comment under anonymous, please state who you are (your username, what your online friends call you, etc.)
7. Enjoy your stay!

Thank you!
-Graciepopstar91